[OM] Learning about lenses

Subject: [OM] Learning about lenses
From: Rob Smith <RobSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:03:48 -0000
Thankyou Moose, I read your note on using later lenses.
Do Zuiko Serial numbers run sequentially? so a larger number would be a
later lens?

I have a 50mm f1.8 which is now junk but has thrown up a couple of questions
I would like to ask:
If I look very carfully at the front element and catch a very bright light
just right I can see a couple of realy small scratches. Without carefull
looking you would not see them.
Would these cause problems?

If I also look very, very carefully at an angle to the rear element under
very bright light I can see what looks like very very fine yellowy
condensation. It is not condensation but that is my best description. You
cannot see it if you look at it straight on.
The lens also looks slightly cloudy if you shine a bright light through from
the rear and look at the front from one side. My other 50mm f1.8 does not do
this.
Any diagnosis?

Is it a good idea to get hoods for each of my lenses?
Does this reduce stray light entering from outside the lens 'cone' and does
this help with image quality?

I wish to get filters for all my lenses to protect the front elements.
What does a UV filter do?
Should I just get plain filters just for lens protection?

Rob