[OM] Re: Learning about lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Learning about lenses
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:53:58 -0800
The serial numbers aren't entirely sequential. I have a black nosed, MC,
35mm f2.8 with serial no. 1004xx. There are a lot of silver nosed, single
coated 35/2.8 lenses with higher serial nos. Best guess is that a higher
serial number is a latter lens but it isn't always so.

Be careful with your filter selection. A bad filter can limit your "lens
performance" dramatically. Depending on the cost of the lens and the
likelihood of damage, you may not want to use a filter. A $20 filter to
protect a $75 lens may not make much sense. I don't think I've ever seen a
photo where anyone has said I wish the UV filter hadn't been used because I
wanted to see more haze. There are times, often near water, where a UV
filter improves the picture. YMMV.

Congratulations getting the 50-250 Zuiko. It's one of my favorites. Some
people don't like the bokeh (check out C.H. Ling's
http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/bokeh.htm ). For pictures taken with hyperfocal
focus, it doesn't matter. Bokeh depends strongly on what's in the image. You
may never see a problem with it. They are great lenses.

-jeff