[OM] Can anyone use a Varimagni finder?

Subject: [OM] Can anyone use a Varimagni finder?
From: Richard Lovison <sylv4700@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:10:32 -0800 (PST)
Here's a  little background first.  I purchased a used Varimagni from
Murphy's Surplus (I think it was Gordon that recommended this site).  I
wasn't expecting all that much for $32 though it was a bit worse than
expected.  I received a case in good shape and a finder that was in
poor shape cosmetically though functional.  Upon further inspection I
noticed the diagonal mirror was chipped (lots of debris between the
internal optics) and the aluminum mount that fits over the camera
eyepiece was slightly damaged.  In spite of all this I wanted to keep
it but wrote Mike and asked him if he still had the other unit he
advertised for parts and whether he could send me out the mirror and
the mount from it.  Instead he sent me 2 complete units for parts,
postage paid and wrote he hoped I could salvage what I needed.  So with
the parts and the original unit I managed to assemble one pretty nice
finder.  Then I wondered whether I could get one more functional unit
from the remaining parts.  I did, though it is one ugly finder with
scratch marks on the exterior (looks like a Dremel tool was used on
it).  The optics are fine except for a chipped mirror (you can see
black spots near the edges while viewing at 1.2 power) , the aluminum
mount is slightly damaged but workable and a case is included.

So here's the offer.  Since Mike was so kind to send me the 2 units for
no charge, I am willing to pass along the 2nd salvaged  finder and case
to someone on the list free of charge and I'll even pay shipping.
Think of it as a form of "pay it forward".  Plus it will make Mike
happy to know his surplus items are being used instead of being tossed
in the garbage.  Following are the minimum qualifications to be met:

1- You must not already own a Varimagni, at least not in working
condition.
2 - You must have a need or use for one and express that need in an
email to me.

I will take the names of the applicants after 2 days from the time this
is posted (please respond off list), place them in a container and then
draw the winning recipient.  That's it!  Good luck. :)

Richard

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail