[OM] Re: A digital mystery cleared up . . . but I had always done it tha

Subject: [OM] Re: A digital mystery cleared up . . . but I had always done it that way!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:52:54 -0800
The Jumpshot is a USB 1.1 device and much slower than USB 2.0. It also
never worked with any other brand of CF card. When I was looking for a
1GB card, I did research and found the Jumpshot included with the Lexar
card was only 1.1. I can only assume that they had a warehouseful of
them sitting around and some marketing genius decided that including a
free gadget that crippled the performance of the primary product would
somehow be a good idea.

Research also turned up the info that, although Lexar and Sandisk had
similar write speeds, the Lexars had much faster read speeds. I bought
and have been very happy with  a Sandisk. By the way, other than for the
anomalous Jumpshot, any brand card reader works with any brand card. The
Lexar firewire reader was the champ last time I looked, but the
difference with cheap no-name readers is not big enough to matter.

I assume the failure with a 2GB card is a firmware issue, where the
Jumpshot didn't anticipate future sizes that large.

Moose