[OM] Re: Brand new OM-3Ti, you know where

Subject: [OM] Re: Brand new OM-3Ti, you know where
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:21:43 -0000
Gordon Ross wrote:

> The 3 Ti is fully manual and has a few upgrades on the OM 3,
> the 4Ti offers both auto and manual possibilities and really
> is far more useful and practical. The 3Ti is not worth the
> price differential as a camera - as a possesion that is
> another issue. (IMO) Here is a good site to check out the
> differences- http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif.htm

In practical "camera features" terms the 3Ti offers only a subset of the
features of the 4Ti. IIRC from previous discussions, the only thing the
3Ti can do that the 4Ti can't is to fire a T series flash at all speeds
(albeit sync'd correctly at or under 1/60 second) AND still quench it
automatically via TTL. With the 4Ti and T flash you can only sync at <
1/60 on manual, which means no TTL quench. IHMO this 3Ti "advantage" is
not a terribly useful feature; certainly something I've never wanted to
use.

Compared with that, the 4Ti has masses of practical features to offer
the photographer, AUTO shutter speed combined with OTF measurement being
the most obvious. But even down to the ability to *try* to prevent
over-exposure with SuperFP flash by closing the curtain after enough
light has been let in (something the 3Ti simply can't do, as a manual
camera -- once the shutter speed has been set, that's it, that's what
you get, come what may).

If the 3Ti has advantages, they are not "camera features" but
intangibles. Apart from the obvious issue of longevity, the grey colour
some 3Ti owners covet, and the lovely noise of the mechanical shutter
system .....  I think the 3Ti (along with the 1 compared to the 2)
*forces* you to think about the photo and compose it more carefully,
rather than just "snapping away". Yes, you can switch both the 2 and the
4 to "MANUAL", but let's be honest, who actually does it?

So there you have it. My opinion....

Simon