[OM] Re: WTB: good quality 1.4 or 1.5 TC

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: good quality 1.4 or 1.5 TC
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:13:34 +0000
Actually, instead of the front element of the 1.4X-A hitting the baffle, it's
only the metal ring around it that does, and it just barely touches.  If you
look closely at the baffle in my 180/2.8, Serial No. 111007*, you will see two
teeny-weeny, itsy-bitsy, barely visible to the naked eye, inconsequential marks
less than 1mm wide on the top and bottom edges where the ring has made very
slight and gentle contact.  Despite this minor mechanical disagreement, the two
work fine together and no harm comes to either.  And if this really, really
bothers anyone, a cautious 60 seconds with a half round bastard or 10 seconds
with a Dremel will aleviate even this minor incompatability by removing about
1mm of the baffle's top and bottom edges.

I use my 1.4X-A with the 180/2.8, 300/4.5, 400/6.3, and most often with the
300/2.8 Tamron.  I would also use it with the 250/2 and the 350/2.8, but I
either don't have those two or I've forgotten where I put them.

Walt

*I would tell you I got it directly from James Bond himself, but you probably
wouldn't believe that.

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --