[OM] Re: Simple questions about T45

Subject: [OM] Re: Simple questions about T45
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:57:39 -0200
on 22/01/2005 11:56, Julian Davies wrote:

> I was assuming that Fernando wants all the light from
> off-axis.
Your assumption is correct, but there is another one: I have 2 and 2n.
Either case, I'd need a TTL Conn (3 or 4) -> TTL cable -> to the PBG2, in
place of the shoe.

I've considered the disadvantages you mentioned, Julian.
They're so true I've not yet tried this setup.
T20 adapter is so fragile that it would get marks on its underside if
attached to a tripod firmly enough - I thought to overcome this by means of
using a shorter-than-fully-needed length of threaded bar, and a rubber
washer in between so as to add a little compliance.
Another way to avoid stressing a T20 adapter is using one of my three Rowi
accessories instead of the adapter: a cold shoe mounted on an articulated
arm, just like a ball headed tripod, but it measures about two inches high
(my God - me doing measures in inches :^)
Of course, this would not only add height but won't allow daisy chaining of
a third T-32 and will need a longer cable. But OTOH it will allow a
compliant medium between the PBG2 and the T-32.

These are certainly half solutions, I mean ad-hoc setups. For instance, when
you need two off-axis 32s and situation requires to set up things as quickly
as possible. It is not meant to be a T45 substitute.

As for two T32s making a GN of 45 *in this setup*, I was left wondering.
If both flashes were very close to one another, that is if fixed to a C
bracket and one of them upside down so as light would come out virtually
from a single source, then I wouldn't doubt it. But this project is
intended, as you quickly understood, to get off axis flash light.
If I understood properly, I would get a correctly exposed MANUAL flash
picture when making the calcs to find out the f-stop, using 45 as a GN ?

And now -pun intended- what if the resulting f-stop happens to be the
maximum aperture of the lens I'm using? Please remember the thread I'm
insisting on: maximum and next f-stops are only a half stop difference, as
measured by the TTL meter, and it seems the same when measured by a Minolta
Spotmeter F in a carefully designed setup (see 20/01/2005 08:56).
This issue begs for an explanation, IMHO.

Oh well, I know I live in a world of uncertainties, what am I expecting to
find ?

:^)

Fernando.