[OM] Re: OT: Apostrophe's (sic.) (was: Re: Can anyone use a Varimagni fi

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Apostrophe's (sic.) (was: Re: Can anyone use a Varimagni finder?)
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:28:43 -0000
To my chagrin, my copy of "The Observer Style Sheet" is silent on the
matter, but I can't argue with your final point, that English is what we
(all, yes even you colonials) make it, and if there is common understanding,
well that's OK.

Since my gripe was with Gord, here is what Univ of Calgary proposes:
"If the noun is singular and ends in "s," you may form the possessive either
by adding apostrophe s or by simply adding the apostrophe.

       Examples:  James's novels    the boss's car    Dickens's heroine
                  James' novels     the boss' car     Dickens' heroine

The exceptions to this flexible rule are Jesus, Moses, and Zeus, which
traditionally form the possessive with just the apostrophe:

          Jesus' teaching     Moses' commandments     Zeus' power

Also, Socrates and Xerxes, should be formed with an apostrophe only."

I hesitate to join that illustrious company, so henceforth, anything goes
(offer personal to Gord, and good only not invalidated by law or good
taste).

On the other hand, don't underestimate the serious side.
http://tinyurl.com/5j97h provides evidence of the misuse of apostrophes as a
means of diagnosing focal cerebral degeneration.  I didn't expect that, no
sir.

--
Piers

PS Getting your hands on my OM-3 will not be as difficlut as you may think.
I have no scruples, I am mercenary.

PPS Thanks for the amusing interlude :-)