[OM] Re: [OM]OT, Way, way OT Re: Oops!

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM]OT, Way, way OT Re: Oops!
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:30:20 -0000 (GMT)

> On 24 Jan 2005, at 15:28, asud journal wrote:
>

>> Not at all, paris is a nice city for driving, at nigth:-)
>> Loïc, un Parisien.
>>

> As a foreigner living in Paris, I can confirm that there are traffic
> rules in Paris. It's just that they only apply to foreigners. For
> locals, they're not as much rules as they are suggestions and ideas,
> which one may -- or may not -- chose to follow at the parisian drivers
> own discretion.

This also seemed to be the traffic rules when I first visited shanghai 4
years ago. Cars did not stop at red lights at all - to be truthful nothing
stopped at red lights.
There was a seperate push bike lane and bus lanes but taxis and cars drove
in the bus lane and people walked in the bike lane and the bikes just
weaved in and out of all the lanes. The only way to get the traffic to
obey the lights was to place police at each traffic light. I have never
been so frightened trying to cross the road.

James