[OM] Re: anyone with opinions on Mamiya 645 or Bronica 645 cameras?

Subject: [OM] Re: anyone with opinions on Mamiya 645 or Bronica 645 cameras?
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:53:12 +0000
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:21:36 -0800, Winsor Crosby
<wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Bronica has been discontinued due to lack of sales. If you buy one
>expecting good after market service and availability of parts,
>accessories, lenses, etc., you may be disappointed. And Bronica does
>not have a sterling reliability reputation. If you go with this brand
>anyway there are web sites with advice on medium format that give
>advice on which Bronica models to avoid.

I can only say I've had absolutely no trouble with two Bronica ETRS's;
the former was a very old one (when they still had diecast metal
bodies) and the present one is a much newer ETRSi with polycarbonate
body. This one is an ex-police "scenes of crime" camera ("North Wales
Police" stencilled on the body) so it presumably had "professional
use! I hate to think of some of the images it must have recorded.

The old ETRS was given to my son and it's still in good shape if
looking rather jaded.

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)