[OM] Re: Macro stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro stuff
From: Steve Goss <stevegoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:11:29 -0600
Matthew-
Some more possibilities for playing around with macro:

mix in a teleconverter with the extension tubes. Depending on how it's
done, you either get increased magnification, or increased working distance.

put two lenses nose to nose. This is fairly easy with Zuiko lenses
because many have the same filter size. Put the longer focal length lens
on the camera, attach the shorter focal length lens in reverse (usually
with a special double threaded connector), and stop down the reversed
lens manually. This  provides high magnification at very low cost,
especially if you connect the two lenses with duct tape. Because the
reversed lens is stopped down, you will need LOTS of light to focus with
this. I did this for my macro tope entry.
<http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=6&pic=5> If you try this,
make sure you thoroughly clean your subject first...

And to chime in on the Olympus vs. Vivitar extension tube conversation,
I have a Vivitar set, and a manual Olympus set. The Olympus tubes are
built better. The Vivitars seem to have just a bit of play and slop to
them. But I use the Vivitars because manual tubes are too masochistic.
The Olympus set is sized to work nicely with 50mm lenses; The Vivitars
work nicely with 135mm lenses. They can be used with other focal
lengths, but you can have gaps or overlap in coverage.

Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa