[OM] Re: Macro stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro stuff
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:12:50 -0800
Piers Hemy wrote:

>Don't be fooled by lens manugacturers describing their Superwizz 28-500 f/8
>zoom as a macro lens.  Whatthey mean is that it will focus closer than Brand
>X 70-210!  A true macro lens will be designed to focus at (at least) half
>life size with minimal image degradation in the corners of the image, and
>minimal barrel/pincushion distortion, and ideally with really small
>apertures available without ill-effect on the image. It's a bit hard to
>describe, but easy to appreciate once you have your first results from the
>Superwizz. Put another way, I just needed a quick image of a paperback book
>cover, and used to Zuiko 35-105 close focus lens.  My recollection is that
>the book is rectangular - you wouldn't believe it looking at the photo, with
>definite curves visible where I want straight lines!

Generally agreed, but with exceptions. For uses that don't require great
linearity and perfect focus out at the periphery, there are a couple of
zooms with outstanding macro capability. the Tamron SP 60-300 goes to
1:1.55 and the Tokina AT-X 50-250 goes to 1:1.4. Both are quite good
optically at these ratios for the usual 3D macro shots. Way closer, more
flexible and optically better than the legendary old Viv Series 1 70-210mm.

Moose