[OM] Re: Noise (was "Evolt review")

Subject: [OM] Re: Noise (was "Evolt review")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:19:08 -0600
I've just been getting some of my wife's photos from her Digital Stylus
4100 ready to have Fuji Crystal Archive prints made.  She had one photo of
the whale (the papier mache [sp?] one) hanging in the Bishop Museum in
Honolulu that was just about black and lost in the shadows.  I'm kind of
amazed that I didn't imperiously delete it without benefit of examination
in PS.  It was certainly not acceptable when I brought it into range with
levels, but after futzing with the highlight/shadow tool a wee bit and then
Noiseware (thanks for recommending this, Ags), one might actually say it
looks almost good. SWMBO is pleased.

This preoccupation with noise is some sort of "mine's bigger than yours"
line drawn in the sand (not to start a mixed metaphor thread).  It's sad to
see some of the samples in dpreview of shots that are nice and smooth
(=noise-free) and not sharp.

Joel W.