[OM] Re: Macro stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro stuff
From: Doug <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:00:18 -0500
On Monday January 24 2005 11:57 am, you wrote:
Snip
. The bellows and focusing stage and
> all that is probably out, at least until I get hooked.
supreme PIA I've used mine only a couple of time. The only place I could ever
see using them is with on of the dedicated macro lens and then only in a
studio.

So...the extension
Is there any reason to spend the extra dough on Olympus tubes vs. the Vivitar
ones?
I  do see that the Vivitar variety are different lengths. They sure are
cheaper. I have the Vivitar and they work just fine.

> And then there's the issue of macro lenses. Recent comments really pushed
> me towards the 50 3.5 -- I've seen a few comments from folks who prefer it
> over the 50 MIJ even for normal use.

My standard leave on the car seat next to me set up is an OM1 and the 50 3.5
lens. I like its range of focus and also sharpness of the lens.

I've found that three things have  more impact on what I'm trying to
photograph than the lens.

The first is the extremely shall depth of field. It is hardly the depth of a
bee as I found out taking this photo.
http://www.dreamscape.com/dhsmith/Crocus.html

The second is that trying to see in the view finder with glasses on in some of
the positions you need to be in is tough to impossible.

The third is that any slight breeze will more flowers around enough to drive
you totally crazy.

What I recommend is to look for a set of extension tubes and a 50 3.5 take
which ever come alone first and take some pictures. You'll quickly learn what
the limiting factors are for the objects you are trying to photograph. You
then have a reason/excuse to buy more equipment.