[OM] Re: Noise (was "Evolt review")

Subject: [OM] Re: Noise (was "Evolt review")
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:46:25 -0800
Actually when it comes to digital noise,  "mine's smaller than yours",
but I understand why you did not want to say that.

What you see out of the camera is often kind of complicated, I think.
You have some makers applying lots of sharpening in camera usually
along with noise reduction. Then you get crisp photos, but sharpening
can often obscure fine detail. Others don't do much of either, trusting
that you want to do it with more control on your computer, and they
come out looking soft. You can get all kinds of choices made with large
variations out of the camera. You will find that some of those soft
images can be sharpened a lot without objectionable artifacts and some
of the crisp images cannot. What counts is the image that can be put on
paper after a little work.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA