[OM] Re: Noise (was "Evolt review")

Subject: [OM] Re: Noise (was "Evolt review")
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:16:53 -0800
Progress is still being made in sensor design. Later designs are
quieter and the built in noise reduction less obtrusive. The new 7MP 1
1/8 inch sensors with smaller pixel sites are less noisy than the older
8 MP sensors with larger sensors. There is not much difference at all
between new 8MP sensors and the 5 or 6 MP sensors that preceded them.

DC Resource does not use an objective measure of noise, just a
subjective judgment based on a night shot. dpreview has objective
measurements.

The quietest example in each category is cited below. There is a graph
at the bottom of each page. In each category there are popular and
capable cameras with much higher noise levels.

1. 7MP 1 1/8 inch with lower noise than 5MP 1 1/8 inch sensor(Luminance
noise 2.2 to 3.5 ISO 100 to ISO 400)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong6/page14.asp

2.  8MP Canon DSLR sensor equal to or lower noise than 6MP Canon DSLR
sensor.(luminance noise 1 to 1.5 ISO 100 to ISO 400)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page20.asp

3. 8MP 2/3inch sensor (Luminance noise 2.0 to 4.3 ISO 100 to ISO 400)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc8080wz/page15.asp

4. 5MP 2/3 inch sensor(Luminance noise 2.1 to 3.5(ISO 100 to ISO 400)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagea1/page16.asp

It is really difficult to generalize in this area.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA