[OM] Re: What's so good about the Zuiko 50/2 ??

Subject: [OM] Re: What's so good about the Zuiko 50/2 ??
From: iwert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:08:16 +0100

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Wayne Culberson"

What am I missing here? To me, the numbers make it
look like a macro lens, not a general all purpose 50mm for hand held
photography.

Well,

a classic "missing": emotion. Not everything is told by numbers.
Taken by numbers all people are equal: same amount of carbon, oxygen, etc...
two eyes, a nose.

Some things cannot be named objectively. But a good photographer will probably
also make a better picture with a beater single coated 50mm f1.8 than a bad
photographer with a 50mm f2.

If I find the time to test, I'll put up a general scene with a tripod and the
50f2, 50f1.4, 50f1.8, 40f2 and the 35-80f2.8 (that's the standard lenses I have
available.

What makes the 50f2 so unique to me is still:

I can use it easily for "1:2" macro and as my everyday standard lens. So I just
need to carry one lens, and don't have to change lenses. Another big plus: I
live in Belgium where available light can be very scarce, even during the day.
So every F-stop extra is valuable. We're also known for lot's of rain, and
that's where the build-in hood comes handy. As for macro and handheld: I dare
to use the 50f2 handheld at 1:2, 1/30 + f2, I couldn't do that with the 90f2...
I know the result maybe won't be as tack-sharp as on a tripod, but hey, I have
the shot!, at f3.5 it would be near impossible.

This lens + an OM3/4 is my equivalent of "a rangefinder + 35mm" with an added
macro feature!

Iwert.