[OM] Re: What's so good about the Zuiko 50/2 ??

Subject: [OM] Re: What's so good about the Zuiko 50/2 ??
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:27:08 -0500
Iwert:

I, too, have been a little confused by the performance numbers of the
various 50mm Zuikos (based largely, but not entirely, on Gary Reese's
tests). For non-macro use, the numbers for the late-model 50/1.8 at F1.8
and F2.8 - which I suspect are the most used apertures in everyday
shooting - are little different from the 50/F2.  The 50/1.8 loses a
little as it is stopped down, but again the differences in Gary's tests
are not "significant".  Could it be that one has to use the lens to
appreciate its characteristics (and especially with a tripod) - and the
numbers don't tell the whole story.  I suspect that my views would be
different if I were doing macro work.

At one point, I decided I REALLY wanted the 50/2, but chickened out at
the last minute in Ebay bidding (the final price was within what I had
been prepared to bid).  In the end, I decided that I had the 50mm focal
length covered adequately (a late-model MIJ) for the time being, and
that $$$ would be better spent on other focal lengths.  The 50/2 IS
still on my wish list, but not at the top. A personal view, based on not
having used the lens!!!!

Martin