[OM] Back on-list, and a question

Subject: [OM] Back on-list, and a question
From: Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:10:05 -0700
  I've been off-list for a year or so, during which time I've been
mostly playing around with digital shots [1] but now I'm going to be
travelling again, I want to get take film shots because while shooting
digital is fun and all, the quality isn't the same, and I miss decent
DOF control at times. (unless I go for an E1 or something, which is a
bit spendy).

  (nice to see all the same old "faces" still here..)

  Question: I have an OM2S which works fine most of the time, but which
tends to leave dark portions on the left-hand side of the image on
occasions, because the curtain sync is off or something. I took it to a
local repair place, and they quoted me $250 (~US$200) to fix it, which
seems reasonable given how much fiddling around there is involved and
apparently OM2S's are more complicated internally than most, but it's
still a fair bit of money.

  The thing that I'm wondering about is that KEH/Adorama/B&H have a few
'bargain' OM2S's floating around for quite a lot less than it'd cost me
to get it fixed -- now, I realise that getting it serviced leaves me
with a guaranteed-to-be-working camera -vs- the risk of buying a
replacement that may have its own issues, but it's an interesting prospect.

  What's _more_ tempting is that there's OM4T's on sale for not an awful
lot more than it'd cost me to get the OM2S fixed up -- and that would be
a definite move up the ladder..

  Any thoughts? What does an OM4T get me above an OM2S? I know there's
more sophisticated metering options, but I can keep track of spot
readings in my head fairly well as it is, and the shadow/light buttons
aren't critical either. Build quality?

  -- dan

[1] Coolpix 4500 -- I went away from OM because I wanted the split-body
option, and I wanted the macro abilities, and that was the only camera
that'd do that.