[OM] Re: (OM) Choice of OM4* camera

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Choice of OM4* camera
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:15:30 -0500
At 12:49 AM 1/28/2005, you wrote:

>I've never had one of those. But I have been offered a plain OM4 recently. I
>declined; for one I didn't want one right now, and secondly, as far as I
>could
>see the plain 4 didn't have a self-timer and aperture pre-fire with mirror
>raise.
>So I'll never buy one except for re-sale (and I'm no salesman, so that's very
>unlikely).

Brian,
The OM-4 does both.

The tab switch under the red LED "button" on the front of the body has two
functions.  In the center position it allows the "beeping"  . . . when the
tab is moved to one side (toward the lens mount) it silences the beeping
(which is where it usually is on mine) . . . and to the other side (away
from the lens mount) it activates the electronic self timer.  The tab only
moves about 30 degrees from center in either direction.  The mirror
pre-fires when shutter release is activated.  This works just the same as
on the OM-2S[p] with the exception, if I recall correctly, that one must
lift up the tab slightly toward the top of the camera to turn the switch.

-- John
[I have both an OM-2S and OM-4]