[OM] Re: (OM) Choice of OM4* camera

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Choice of OM4* camera
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:21:00 +0000
The self-timer switch is my No. 3 gripe about the OM-4, coming after the
exposure compensation dial that so easily resets the film speed when I don't
intend to (No. 1), and the lack of mirror and aperture prefire, similar to
mirror lock-up on an OM-1, that allows me to release the shutter when I want
to, not 12 seconds in the future when the subject may be long gone.

My problem with the self timer switch was, since I almost always use either a
winder or a motor drive, when picking up the camera, the fingernail on my right
"bird" finger would sometimes catch the little lever without me realizing it,
so that when I pushed the shutter release for that once-in-a-lifetime shot,
instead of a "snickety kerplunk and whirr," I got an infuriating "beep, beep,
beep, beep," as I stood there trying blindly to hold the camera for 12 seconds
exactly where it was pointed to begin with.  After a few instances of this, I
learned to keep the thing pushed all the way over toward the lens, avoiding
this problem and silencing other beeps.  If that had failed, there would've
been epoxy involved.

Rant over.  Love the OM-4s anyway.

Walt

--