[OM] Re: Shooting for hire

Subject: [OM] Re: Shooting for hire
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:08:16 -0800
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>

> So tell us, Walt, is it true what they say about the back of a hand
> being an
> adequate substitute for a grey card?

One of the things we do in my class is to "calibrate" your hand.

Students meter off a gray card, then off their hand with identical
lighting, and note the difference.

Then when they need to do incident metering and don't have a gray card
handy, they just dial in the proper exposure compensation factor for
their hand.

Even among Caucasians, there can be over 1.5 stops difference between
the fairest and the darkest skinned.

:::: Freedom of the commons brings ruin to all. -- Garrett Hardin
:::: Jan Steinman (a fossil-fuel free zone!)
<http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>