[OM] Re: sheet film processing

Subject: [OM] Re: sheet film processing
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:45:55 -0800 (PST)
> I use the Zone system.  I controlled development compensation
> through a combination of time and developer dilution.

Less critical now with modern films. Ilford Delta 100 and 400
has plenty of latitude--especially when processed in DD-X.  (ok,
off of soap box now).

> My printing was been on silver-rich papers such as Zone VI
> Brilliant or
> Gallerie in Amidol.  I'm not sure what I will use when I
> resume; I may
> give some other papers a try, too.

Forte is kinda sorta an option.  It's availability is spotty
right now and consistancy from batch to batch (and sometimes
from sheet to sheet) leaves something to be desired. But it has
good density and the surface has a nice glycerin glow to it that
is quite appealing. It tends to lift highlights quite a bit.

A paper that I can personally recommend is Perfecta processed in
Perfecta-D developer. This glossy fiber paper is similar to
Ilford Multigrade IV, but produces a blacker max-black and also
maintains a wet look even after drying.  You'll find it at
www.fineartphotosupply.com along with a multitude of other
boutique products. I also use their alkaline fixer, which makes
archival print washing a dream.

Oops, I was just thinking. Delta 400 is not available in 4x5.
Delta 100 is (and boy is it awesome).  Ilford HP5+ is also
available in 4x5 and is extrememly well served in DD-X 1:9.

AG

http://my.yahoo.com