[OM] Re: What is old is new again

Subject: [OM] Re: What is old is new again
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:03:25 -0800 (PST)
My point that I was trying to make regarding the OM-4(T/Ti) vs
modern SLR/DSLR cameras is that exposure
determination/adjustment is an "additive process" with the OM-4
whereas it is a "subtractive process" or "adaptive process" with
modern designs.

With multispot metering, you start with nothing and you identify
what you want included in the exposure. Modern designs give you
a starting exposure and you have to determine when and what you
are needing to compensate for. Granted, you can use the OM line
the same way, (OM-2x) but it encourages the additive process
when appropriate.

For additive exposure determination, of which method I use for
most of my B&W work, the OM-4(T/Ti) is at the top of the game.
For P&S work, I find it a little kludgy.

Modern SLR/DSLRs have such excellent matrix metering systems
that they are quite trustworthy and usable for the 90% rule.
However, whenever I need to have 100% control over the exposure,
as I typically do in B&W and studio work the OM metering system
is extremely usable.

At least I don't work in foot-candles.  Pulleeeease.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail