[OM] Re: #029 Bugbrooke Northamptonshire

Subject: [OM] Re: #029 Bugbrooke Northamptonshire
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:44:36 +1300
Hi folks

(see far below for quote)

Benefiting from an agricultural background, I'd call that a tedder; a hay
tedder
which is a successor to the hay-rake.

As the implement is towed by a tractor, the two big wheels in good contact
with the earth drive a solid rotating axle which powers the drum-looking thing
on the left. You can see the right-angle power take-off that looks like a
differential but possibly isn't. That drum-looking thing is connected to
another
at the rear by 4? bars, and these 4 bars have many sets of spring-loaded
tines pointing down to the ground where the new-mown hay lies in broad
swathes.  As the tedder is towed along the swathe of mown hay, the two
drum-things rotate, causing the tines to sweep the hay into a long windrow or
continuous mound of mown grass that gets better airing and exposure to
drying. When dried enough, it is baled.

That tedder is not only a very old model, but many parts are broken-missing
especially the tines.

Something else you never thought you'd learn on this list!!

By the way, a great composition, and on-screen I'd never have picked it was
a splice job.

Brian

on 2005/01/25 12:48 PM, GeeBee at geebee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> They were two horizontal shots, one of a tree on top of a slight rise and
> one of an old item of farm machinery in an adjacent field.
>
> They were overlapping on my desk and I liked the way they combined so I
have  joined them up as a composite and cropped to a vertical format.