[OM] Re: Perfecta paper

Subject: [OM] Re: Perfecta paper
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:55:56 -0800 (PST)
> As I'm getting interested in that paper, but haven't got any
> yet, I see a post on photo.net today that indicates it is
> rebranded Ilford.

I seriously doubt it.  I've been using it in parallel with
Multigrade IV glossy fiber and it is different in the following
ways:

Paper:
The curl characteristics and feel are different. Perfecta feels
heavier (in fact you will probably mistake the protective
cardboard for the first sheet). Which has the better feel is a
matter of personal taste. Perfecta feels like the Kodak papers
from 30 years ago.

Surface texture:
The Ilford has a coarser chain pattern.

Surface reflectance:
The Ilford emulsion isn't as "wet". But the Ilford geletin
appears to microcrack a little nicer.

Maximum Blackness:
The Perfecta paper reaches a blacker black.

Exposures:
Depending on grade, it's up to 1/2 stop different speed.

Grades:
Depending on negative base color and enlarger light source
you'll see about 1/2 grade apparant grade increase with the
Perfecta paper with little affect on mid and high values.

Color temperature:
Multigrade IV Fiber paper tends to yellow more while the silver
tends to have a purple cast.  Perfecta paper is more neutral and
the silver doesn't have the purple cast.

Sensitivity to color filtration:
Multigrade is very forgiving to color/grade changes. Perfecta is
much pickier. I cannot use the color head dichromatic controls
with Perfecta but must use Ilford graded filters.

The stuff *might* be made in the same factory, but it is
definitely not the same stuff.  I'd take those comments with a
grain of silver salt.

By the way, Multigrade IV papers develop MUCH better in the
Perfecta-D developer and lose nearly all of the purple cast and
achieve a denser max-black.  But, it's still different than the
Perfecta in all of the above manners.

AG-Schnozz

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail