[OM] Re: Perfecta paper

Subject: [OM] Re: Perfecta paper
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:27:39 -0800 (PST)
> Did you also try the Elegance paper from Fine Art?  If so, how
> does it differ and why did you choose Perfecta?  If not, did
> you choose Perfecta based on any conversation with Fine Art or
> from other information.  Their website implies that Perfecta
> is better and perhaps is costlier for them to carry, but is
> priced lower than Elegance.

I do use the Forte papers (but through other sources).  Forte
papers will drive you to drink with the batch-to-batch
inconsistancy. You must establish a test image that can be
printed and then the exposure tables adjusted accordingly. The
differences can be pretty extreme.  That said, I haven't
purchased any since the changeover. My understanding is that the
manufacturing has completely changed.

Most of the Forte papers tend to have an interesting surface
characteristic where the highlights tend to "glow" a little.
Glycerin based developers will enhance this and really make the
prints stand out.  I've even seen this characteristic with
Ilford Multigrade developer.

There is absolutely no similarity between Forte papers and
Perfecta paper.  Completely different animals.  Perfecta is
definitely closer to Multigrade IV than any other paper I've
seen, but with notable differences.

It took many months of discussion with FAPS before I finally
bit. The final straw for me was the Ilford reorganization. I
felt that I needed to find an alternative source for materials.

End result is interesting.

Is his claims on Perfecta accurate?  Yes.  Are they night and
day improvements over Multigrade IV?  Not really. Probably the
biggest factor is the Perfecta-D developer. The developer has
improved Multigrade prints (even RC) enough that I gladly use it
as my univeral paper developer now. There are trade-offs between
Perfecta paper and Multigrade IV paper. I think Multigrade IV is
a less finicky paper with grade control and the emulsion layers
appear closer in sensitivity than Perfecta.

Will I stick with Perfecta for my fiber printing?  Most likely
yes.  I like the wet look that it gives me (especially when
microwaved) and the cost is quite good.  However, the choices of
surfaces is extremely limited.  You have glossy fiber in neutral
tone only.  If you like matte papers, Ilford has an outstanding
fiber matte.

Oh, one other difference.  Drydown compensation. I'm still
trying to get a handle on this, but Perfecta and Multigrade have
quite different drydown characteristics.

AG

http://my.yahoo.com