[OM] Re: Analog Forever

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Forever
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:52:38 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

>Don't know if it was the same test (for AF SLR camera resolution tests) I
>remember they were talking about B/W negative not color.

They specifically mention color negative film with resolution of 2,400
"lines". I believe this is using the new spec of LPH, Lines per Picture
Height, used in comparing sensors of different sizes. Since both film
and this sensor are the same size, numbers are even more directly
comparable and can be converted to lpmm (I assume they mean line
pairs?). The 1Ds MII measured at 2760Vx2810Hx2200D

2400/ 24 = 100 film

2760/ 24 = 115 Vertical
2810/ 24 = 117 Horizontal
2200/ 24 =  92 Diagonal

>I always have the impression that slide (slow one like Velvia 50) is better
>than color negative (any ISO100 commercial film) in resolution.

Well, I certainly don't know, any more than I know details of their
tests, like what lens the used. I don't think I have any with 100+
resolution. They probably published something about their tests in
another issue. Anyway, it seems they disagree with you, but who knows
what film they are using. I could never figure why slide film would have
better resolution. After all, it starts by being developed as neg, then
goes through further processing to reverse the image.

Many years ago we used a lot of specalized color positive film
originally used for NASA that had much more resolving power and less
grain than any conventional film. And boy did it have low tolerance for
mis-expopsure and was tricky to develop. Some folks from Lawrence Lab
came by once to learn the niceties of development. The emulsion kept
falling off the backing when they did it! We lowly non-scientist
commercial folks fixed them up. I doubt they are using anything that
exotic, but who knows.

Moose