[OM] Re: E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs E300
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 06:56:50 +0000
Barry

I am one of those who has gone the E-1 way.  I probably still would,
given that the E-300 has only one display and is apparently noisier
than the E-1.

Moose is right to point out that the E-1 has no integral flash, but I
have bought the FL-36 to do big stuff and the FL-20 for small stuff.  I
am certain the FL-20 would cost around $50 in the US and it is a tiny
little gizmo.  By the way, the zoom for the E-1 is a 50-200 (not 250).
I could not afford it so I bought the Sigma 55-200 which is light and
has provided perfectly acceptable quality so far.

AF assistance lighting:  the E-1's means that it will focus in darkness
at up to around 3 metres, but the FL-36 provides this facility with
more serious distances. If you look at the mono pic of my son and his
singer on www.bvorn.com (the slanted shot with the ragged frame) you
will see a shot at 3 metres using a T32.  The E-1 was focusing with
little problem, although it was light enough for me to see if the focus
was on - they were lit with a fluorescent light from our greenhouse.

I have put only 2 E-1 shots on the web, but they are at:

http://www.myfourthirds.com/folder.php?id=403

Good luck with your choice!

Chris