[OM] Re: a page from the journal

Subject: [OM] Re: a page from the journal
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:12:19 +1100

> >http://lrh.structuregraphs.com/diary-20050127.htm
>
> That's an interesting composition.  The inclusion of the vast
> plain to the
> left and careful control of DOF does convey a feeling of loneliness.
>
> While driving through Montana I noted many of these, not in
> the mountains,
> but on straight tracks of road.  The practice of staking a
> cross is not
> uncommon, but there were so many of them, and at such
> unlikely places, I
> thought there must be some other significance. I asked a
> friend about it
> and she said that people just fall asleep in that vast place
> and run off
> the road.  Mostly all single car crashes.  It's worse in
> winter when it
> starts to get dark around 3:30 PM and there's not much to do
> other than
> drive to some watering hole 50 miles away.  50 miles between
> objects of
> interest is nothing in Montana.

Thanks for your comments Joel.

The roadside memorials have been getting very common around Oz in the last
few years, there are a few I pass every day on the way to work - always a
sobering experience.  I can imagine these do more to improve the road
accident statistics than most of the TV commercials.

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://lrh.structuregraphs.com