[OM] Re: Analog Forever

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Forever
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:47:50 -0500
on 2005/02/01 1:52 AM, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> They specifically mention color negative film with resolution of 2,400
> "lines". I believe this is using the new spec of LPH, Lines per Picture
> Height, used in comparing sensors of different sizes. Since both film
> and this sensor are the same size, numbers are even more directly
> comparable and can be converted to lpmm (I assume they mean line
> pairs?). The 1Ds MII measured at 2760Vx2810Hx2200D
>
> 2400/ 24 = 100 film
>
> 2760/ 24 = 115 Vertical
> 2810/ 24 = 117 Horizontal
> 2200/ 24 =  92 Diagonal

Are there two of these Lines per conventional film line pair? Otherwise of
course they don't compare with pixels.

That implies the film is only 50 lp/mm - mid-low grade for color films on
low-contrast targets, very low grade for high-contrast. As discussed earlier
here, see
   http://www.creekin.net/films.htm

Andrew