[OM] Re: E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs E300
From: Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:45:27 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:
> Of course I bought the 11-22
> immediately to enjoy the fun of super wide.

  That's one thing that's keeping me from getting into DSLR just yet --
Moose "sees in telephoto", whereas I "see in wide-angle", and so I'd be
wanting to buy the 11-22 if I bought an E1/E300, but those are pretty
expensive. (now, when the 7-14 comes out, that's going to be very tempting!)

> I like DOF control (mostly shallow DOF), less than
> 1% of my shots are at F8 or below.

  That's another thing -- don't you get also more DOF with smaller
(digital) sensors because of the optics of it all?

  One thing that I've found with the Coolpix I have is that I get a lot
of DOF -- which is handy for macro shots, I've taken way too many of
those with my OMs where the DOF is so tiny you can't see anything -- but
it's bad for portraits or isolating things against the background, and
there's not really the fast lenses for that sort of thing yet. Shutter
speed, sure, I like being able to dial ISO up and down if it's dark
(because a grainy but sharp shot is better than a smooth but blurred
shot, imho), but that's not the only thing that you get with a fast lens.

  -- dan