[OM] Re: OT For the 4X4 Listees

Subject: [OM] Re: OT For the 4X4 Listees
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:45:13 -0700
I don't remember whose quote that was. It's amazing where people go on skis.
Some of the long Antarctic expeditions are extremely difficult. People here
ski very steep places on free-heel gear but not without an element of
danger. We have lost several people to avalanches this year. We have had
warm weather lately so next time we get snow the avalanche danger will be
very high. I usually go alone so have to be very careful. I carry a beeper
but if one is alone that just helps settle the estate a little quicker. I
carry an Avalung too which enables one to breath under the snow for a while.
That buys a little time but, again, might not be much help if you are alone.
I've dug a couple of people out of avalanches but never been buried myself.
I prefer to keep it that way. I carry a shovel and probe in case someone
else needs help. Sometimes I even have room for a camera. /jmac