[OM] Re: E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs E300
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:57:33 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

>Moose, you never miss any chance to promote your 300D :-) Barry was asking
>for the E1 and E300 comparison not 300D. Ok, we know it very well you are
>very happy with your 300D.

Well, it said something about 300, so off I went. I think I'm so easily
set off on the subject because I really WANTED Oly to make the camera
for me, but they didn't - yet?

>Yes, I had a 10D and it is a fine camera, the major complain at that time
>was C*non does not have a reasonable good superwide for 1.6x sensor, I only
>had a 17-40L which was ok but it was just a 28-64 F4 (in 10D) and it cost
>US$700. Not to mention about superwide, even as a standard zoom it was a bit
>less. I wish a long time for a 28-105/F2.8 and the E-1 give me a closely
>matched 2.8-3.5 of very light weight. Of course I bought the 11-22
>immediately to enjoy the fun of super wide.

If wide were important to me, I might have made a different choice, as
well. Now there is the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG AF
<http://www.popphoto.com/assets/download/0404_Sigma12-24mm.pdf>, for
$670 at B&H. At 19-38mm eq. on a Can*n sensor, it covers WA pretty well,
actually a little wider than the Oly 11-22. A little slow, but that
doesn't matter so much on the Can*ns.

>It is a fact that Olympus E-1 is having more noise than all the others with
>1.5x and 1.6x sensor. It is around 1.5 stop noiser than 10D, this is the major
>complain and low light focusing is another one.

So why don't they DO something about it? Being the one guy with the
slight limp makes it sort of hard to run with the pack.

>Beside that I like its image quality much more than the C*non, even I use RAW
>all the time, I found you need a better image to start with, otherwise you
>will only get a "good" result but not an "excellent" one.

Not much to say there, as you have worked with both and I with only the
300D.

>Talking about lenses, I never like the slow one even I can use high ISO to
>compensate for the speed. I like DOF control (mostly shallow DOF), less than
>1% of my shots are at F8 or below.

Yes, we have quite different favorite subjects and styles. I just looked
at the record of my last outing with an OM. The f-stops I recorded were
72% f8 and below:
2.8   x  2
3.8-4 x  5
8     x 12
11    x 11
5-5.6 x  2
N/A   x  4

Only for the 2 shots at f2.8 was the f-stop chosen to limit DOF. In some
cases, I would have liked more DOF than I was able to get at a
reasonable shutter speed for the lens focal length on a few. Some of the
shots from this roll were part of my post on film profiline in Vuescan
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/VuesProf/>. You can see that too much
DOF wasn't a problem.

>For flash, I found the on camera flash very limited, no bounce, low power no
>FP mode....ect.

Absolutely agree, but it is infinitely better than the built-in flash on
the E-1.  :-) I don't really do any 'serious' flash to speak of. So I
have yet to feel limited, although it's pretty clear where the limits
are. On the other hand, the fill flash control is rather nice for casual
people pics. With either camera, I would expect to pay for full function
flash.

Moose