[OM] Re: Analog Forever

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Forever
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:40:48 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

>Nothing can break the physics rule, you NEED at least two pixel to resolve
>one line pair

I believe this is true with 'lines' one pixel long. In the case of a set
of light/dark line pairs many pixels in length, and not exactly parallel
to the lines of pixels (which is essentially always the case in any ral
world application), and especially the converging lines in the test
target used in this case, I believe the eye can distinguish separate
lines at a smaller separation than the pixel pitch. Partly just my
opinion based on what I've seen and read. I could expound, probably
incomprehensibly, on why I think this might be true, but I will resist
the urge. One should also consider that I've been wrong before. :-)

>, the question here is you don't know how they interprete the LPH.

Exactly what I'm saying. I'm also saying that evidence is strong that
the LPH measures used by PP, for both digital and film, and by dpreview
and other reviewers, whatever their relation to traditional resolution
measures, are consistent with each other.

Moose