[OM] Re: Analog Forever

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Forever
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:16:37 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:

>How close to extinction with the film grain?  Even with the
>sharpest lens, at the finest detail, there are at least 20
>visible film grains making up the transition. (Delta 100). There
>is absolutely no way MY lenses will come close to what Delta 100
>is able to record.  Even if I'm conservative and say that it
>takes 5 grains to adequately record a contrast change, that
>means that Delta 100 is still records 4x more resolution than a
>6mp sensor.
>
>With color films, all bets are off. Digital is *almost* a slam
>dunk.  Especially when compared to Provia/Velvia 100F.  It ain't
>as sharp as Velvia 50.  I don't think ANY current color neg film
>will match digital.  Ektar 25 was another story, though.

You spark off another line of thought. The color pixels of digital
sensors are interpolated from individual sensors filtered to respond
only to certain color ranges. That makes the argument about 2 pixels per
line pair much more subtle and complex, as it doesn't get down to the
actual sensor level.

Also, if the sensor sites were all panchromatic, higher B&W resolution
would be likely from the same size/number of sensor sites. That's
probably why PP compared the 1Ds MII to color film, apples to apples.

Moose