[OM] OT: Technology gone mad? (was Kodak digital camera sales)

Subject: [OM] OT: Technology gone mad? (was Kodak digital camera sales)
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:02:42 +1100
At 04:06 AM 3/02/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>Since I live in Kodak-town and there has been much discussion of Kodak's
>film business, I thought I'd pass on this article in the local paper.
><snip>
>http://democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050203/BUSINESS/502030364
>
>Anyway, it's a good news story for the local economy.
>
>Earl

A para in the article got my attention, it says:

"Looking ahead, analysts predicted that Kodak, Sony and Canon would
continue as the three major players in a fiercely competitive market. Chute
said the competition would center on new features that go beyond megapixels
and zoom.

"All of a sudden you take it from being a camera to an Internet device. ...
You can do a lot more with digital camera," Chute said.

Now I might be strange, but I've only ever wanted a camera for it's ability
to take pictures. Whether it's an analogue or digital camera it doesn't
matter. I see a photo opportunity, I pick up my camera, I take a photograph.

Now it seems cameras are going to become "Internet devices" - whatever that
means.  I'm starting to get really confused...

My camera will connect to the Internet.
My telephone will take photos.
My refrigerator will have a TV screen on the door.
Next thing I know my cappuccino machine will be organizing my appointments.

I really don't understand this business of technology convergence.  I
reckon all you end up with is an expensive gadget that does lots of things
but none of them very well.

Is this just me being a Luddite or do others have similar feelings?

Andrew McPhee