[OM] Re: OT: Technology gone mad? (was Kodak digital camera sales)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Technology gone mad? (was Kodak digital camera sales)
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:40:21 -0000 (GMT)

Its about selling based on feature count because its easy to compare
features and (in the minds of some) more features = better value for
money.
Look at mobile phones or computer (bloatware) software for classic
examples of this.
reliability, servicability and useability simply don't count.
performance? who cares when marketing can simply say outstanding
performance or some other meaningless jabber...

WARNING TECH EXAMPLES! + RANT
Even when there is an estabilished method to quote the performance
(rightly or wrongly) such as the frequency response 20 - 20K + or - 3 dbs
I see companies saying 20 -20K without any bounds. Given that context it
could be 20 - 2Mhz + or - a few million dbs. Utterly meaningless.
or a USB driven amplifier that delivers 20 watts and is powered only from
the USB which is only rated to provide 5 watts of power... hmmm. ofcourse
its really 10W per channel and thats PMPO which equates to about 1-2 whats
RMS (the real standard meaningful measurement) and getting 2 W oper
channel out of a 5w powersupply is possible... 20W out of a 5 wat
powersupply well we just solved all the energy problems - chain enough of
them together and we get infinite power from a USB port!