[OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:16:59 +0100

On 2 Feb 2005, at 18:29, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> I was on a tour and the Tokyo hotel was near the main train station, a
> convenient way to get around. Near our last day with free time we
> discovered the wonders of a taxi tour arranged by the concierge. We had
> a very nice man who was very knowledgeable who escorted us through the
> sites that we visited at our own speed. We were able to rearrange our
> itinerary during the day and the cost was very reasonable split among
> the members of the group. Tokyo is expensive. Take money and eat
> simply. Restaurants in the train stations and department stores are
> good and relatively inexpensive.

Heh, no, Winsor....here's the trick:

Make friends with some locals, and go eat in local places. Sure, they
do not have english menus, but I've enjoyed many a luxurious meal for
around 15 Eur.....for two people....incl. drinks.

If you go to a touristy area, doing touristy things in touristy
shops/restaurants, then expect the japanese to act as savy business-men
too, and charge you touristy prices ;)

If you go a little out of the way, you get more authenticity and very
very good prices without compromising quality.

--thomas