[OM] Re: E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs E300
From: Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:08:31 -0700
R.Jackson wrote:
> I know the "Digital OM" thing has been done to death, but I really am
> used to the ergonomics of the OM system and all the digitals I've
> picked up (Olympus models included) lack the feel of my OM stuff. I
> really hope that one day we see a full-frame Olympus digital with the
> shutter speed dial where it's supposed to be.

  I was just in a camera store today picking up some film and they had
an  E300/EVolt in there -- that thing is _huge_. I thought the 4/3
system was meant to be compact, but the body was no smaller than any of
the other DSLRs, the lens wasn't any smaller, I don't quite get it.

  Secondly, though, say they did make the body the same size as an OM
body, and they left all the OM controls in place -- there's still some
things that would be missing, because there's stuff that a digital can
do that regular film cameras don't have to worry about -- the screen has
to go somewhere, the buttons for view/delete images have to go
somewhere, colour balance, etc. I'm not sure how you could add that to
an OM body and still have it usable, sadly.

  -- dan