[OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations
From: iwert <iwert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:43:58 +0100
Dean,

I am late with my reply but here is my 2 eurocents:

June in Tokyo means hot and humid. Travel as light as you can. (when I was
living there in June 4-5 showers a day was no exception).

Tokyo is huge, but don't be fooled by the japanese which only take the
subway... If you can get up early in the morning, when the climate is still
bearable try to do much on foot. You'll see things you would else never see.
also go in to the living areas, away from the big roads and highrise
buildings. The atmosphere there is calm and very green. Lots of nice images
to be found there. There are beautifull parks and temples, and, and, and.
you'll feel like a japanese tourist. take enough film! (film was rather
expensive when I was in Tokyo, might have changed now due to digital...
don't know).

some tips you really "should" do:
Take the green line of the train circling Tokyo, better than any tourist
tour. lots of nice train stations to see;

the Tsukiji Fish Market, but be there early, with fast film (800 asa) and a
fast lens, zuiko 50f1.4 or so;

Akihabara electric town - especially the market starting under the bridge;
Asakusa Temple (also early morning or at dusk) (start early when crossing
town by train... You travel easily for 1 or 2 hours, this is a BIG city);

The big Tokyo Hands "opposite" Shinjuku station store with all kinds of
tools and materials (a model builders walhalla, still miss it!);
This area is wonderfull around twilight, gives a real blade runner
atmosphere!

And if you are hungry in between all the walks, stop by a 7/11 and offer
yourself a nice "onigiri" little triangular or square rice meals packed in
seaweed. Real energy, better than any Mars, Twix or KitKat at Tokyo
temperatures.

You can already warm up a bit looking at some drawings I made whil in Japan
for about 6 weeks in 2001:

http://zuiko.fotopic.net/c421325.html

OM-wise: 21f3.5 - 50f2 - 85f2 as compact kit. 50-250 for parks, otherwise
250mm is far too long (in my opinion). I did most photography with a 40f2 I
fell in love with in Tokyo. (and I used the 35 and 24 shift very much, but
that probably was much of an architect thing)

Have a good time!

Iwert.