[OM] Re: E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs E300
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:11:56 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:

>With an OM body without motor drive or winder you hold it
>differently than you hold any camera with a forward protruding
>grip. These grips force the stability of the hand-camera
>interface downward into the palm. If the camera is not tall
>enough the lower palm (and pinky) is unable to provide the
>leverage that is required. This forces you to squeeze the
>fingers tighter on the grip which fatigues the hand and wrist.

This area is so much dependent on individual physical characteristics
and preferences.

>The "solution" to this has been the auxillary battery packs that
>mount on the bottom of the camera and extend the grip downward.
>The feel of the camera suddenly becomes very solid and the hand
>no longer is required to squeeze the grip.

I'm very comfortable with the 300D without battery pack.

>The tradeoff in weight gain is easily made up for with a more holdable camera.

Using a D60 with battery pack, I very much disliked the extra bulk and
weight.

>I experienced this yesterday with the new black Rebel with
>battery pack. Wow! It actually felt good!

That's great! I'm not trying to disagree with your experience, only
point out that it may not be that same as the experience of others.

>With the OM body, without winder/md, you support the weight of
>the camera with the left hand (under the lens) and the right
>hand is used to guide the camera and operate controls. Rarely do
>you hold an unwindered OM with the right hand. Once you stick a
>winder or motordrive on an OM body you've provided a grip for
>the right hand it it now becomes the primary load-bearing hand
>while the left hand is used to focus and guide the camera.

Agrees with my experience except I would still rather carry just the
camera and lens than the extra weight and bulk of a winder.  Just a
personal preference. I've thought of gutting a broken winder and
replacing the bottom battery holder section with a plain metal plate, to
get the grip without the weight and bulk. However, I haven't worked a
suitable solution for shutter release.  I'm sure it can be done, but too
much work for the reward so far.

>Just because the manufacturers have steered us in this direction doesn't mean
>that it's the best way.

Maybe they have hands more like mine than yours?  :-)   I'm not small,
although maybe not quite 6 feet anymore, 33 in. sleeve and I wear size
large gloves, but I'll bet your hands are noticably bigger than mine.
Perhaps particularly in palm width.

>Olympus, with the E-1, truely created a comfortable camera. I wouldn't want it
>one millimeter smaller than it is.

I found the E-1 comfortable too, but would have been happier with
smaller. The *istD is a very nice size for me.

Moose