[OM] Re: I've Waited Long Enough (Long post, only for the brave)

Subject: [OM] Re: I've Waited Long Enough (Long post, only for the brave)
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 23:23:43 -0000
Joshua, I don't recommend a light meter at all if you have in mind outdorr
cityscapes after dark.  I dug out my trasured copy of "Adventures in
Existing Light Photography" Kodak, 1969, and here is how they explain it
better than I would:

"The large dark areas in many night scenes make it difficult to us an
exposure meter from the camera position.  You can either make a close-up
meter reading of the important areas in your picture, or use the exposure
recommended in the exposure table on page 40."

I may be able to get the table scanned in the next week, in which case I
will upload it, but in the meantime, here are a few extracts for HS
Ektachrome film (ASA 160):

Skyline, ditant view of lighted buildings at night - 1 sec f/2
Skyine 10 mins after sunset - 1/60 sec f/4
Store windows - 1/30 sec f/4
Floodlit buildings, Monuments - 1 sec f/4
Brightly lit Theatre districts, Times Square, Las Vegas - 1/30 sec f/4
Brightly lit downtown street scenes - 1/30 sec f/2.8

>From the above you can guess that I second Skip's recommendation to get a
copy of a Kodak Master Photoguide.  My Pro Photoguide of similar vintage to
the above book certainly has detailed recommendations, is probably cheaper
than a LunaSix, and doesn't take batteries of any sort. If you do go the
Lunasix route, make sure you get a black one (there are no spares for the
grey ones), and one that does not require mercury batteries (because you
will need any you can get for your OM-1).

--
Piers