[OM] Re: Camera grips, was E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera grips, was E1 vs E300
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:20:48 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:

>Along this line of thought, maybe cramped, distant and small
>viewfinders are an improvement for everybody?

ROTFLOL

>Maybe I'm just odd because I like to see a larger focusing screen that I can
>focus on instead of just using it to frame a shot.

No, I can't disagree with you there.

>Is this a case where function follows form?

Unfortunately, it's a case of form follow the rules of optical physics
and function is stuck in a hole, a dark hole it can't get out of. The
long term solution is vastly improved EVFs and/or full frame sensors in
reasonably priced and sized bodies. Either or both are possible in the
not too distant future. In the meantime, you get tiny and bright or too
small and dimmer (or buy a 1Ds, or stick with film.)

>Do autofocus systems have to keep getting better because viewfinders are
>getting worse?

For APSish sized sensor DSLRs, yes.

>Do we need to improve instant review because you
>have little to no confidence in the camera to have exposed,
>focused or framed properly?

Well, I don't have any complaints about exposure with AF lenses, esp.
with RAW output, and framing is fine. Focus is the weak point, but still
does the job the vast majority of the time. Weak without the assist on
at small apertures in low light, but it is an entry level body. I'm much
happier using just the central focus area most of the time than letting
it pick its own focus point(s). I spot focus, then compose and shoot
fairly often.

>Olympus nailed ergonomics with the OM-1, OM-2.

Deja Vu? Didn't we already go around this one?

>And I think they did a fine job with the E-1 also.

No doubt. Ergonomics weren't one of the things that led me elsewhere.

>Nice discussion, Moose.

Thanks. Interesting, basic stuff.

>Other than a few nits, I think the DRebel is a fine camera and would serve
>most people, most of the time, very well.

True, I think, of the E-1, E-300, and indeed all the DSLRs. None is
perfect and all have their strengths.

>I, however, am an oddball.

Something to be celebrated, in my view!

Moose