[OM] Re: [OT]British Language

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]British Language
From: Rob Smith <RobSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:56:27 -0000
Windsorwrote:

.......1. "Anti-social behavior" which is not a crime in this country and
just
a matter of rudeness.I am sure it is a euphemism for something else.

My definition, as I understand it, is the sort of behaviour which is just
plain rude, annoying, stupid, dangerous, frightening.

Much of the problem is with teenagers who congregate in small groups and
cause havoc, damage property, terrify people, steal etc.

There are many people in certain areas afraid to go out of their homes or
even affraid in their homes.

This is getting to be a big problem in the UK and why there is a great deal
of talk of fighting it.

The reality is that UK law is not set up to deal with a lot of this
behaviour.
Up to the age of 18 they are 'minors' and the police have little power to
prosecute.
A lot of these people know this and exploit this situation, clocking up
run-ins with the police as 'fun'

There is also antisocial behaviour with any age group such as drink related
problems after clubs turn out late at night.

Police have powers to tackle theft, rape, car crime and other definite
crimes.
I think, and hope, the law is changing to give police powers to tackle
'anti-social-behaviour' which is a huge problem but is not defined well
enough to get a procecution.

That is how I understand it.

Rob