[OM] Re: [Photo] Can I have your opinon?

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Can I have your opinon?
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 07:41:17 -0500
>> OM-Photogs!
>>
>> I have four photos that I would like hear your opinion on. I can take
>> strong critics... I would also like some hints on the technical side,
>> what to think about when making the fine print and so on.
>>
>> Please look and respond! I like them, but then you should kill your
>> darlings.
>>
>> 1
>> <http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?
>> dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-12.jpg>

Nice. The subject is lost in thought, or perhaps daydreaming. The out of
focus background supports focus on the person. The texture and leads in the
ice hold the foreground, and pull our attention to the same place as the
subject's. I can't quite tell on screen whether the foreground ice is all in
focus; I think it should be, but it isn't critical.

>> 2
>> <http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?
>> dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-1.jpg>

This looks (to me) like an attempt to capture the quiet openness of winter,
which can be difficult as any point of interest draws attention away from
the subject, which is the whole scene. From here on my comments will be
mostly based on this assumption. Chris has mentioned focus, which is a
problem. OOF says "don't pay attention to this", which is fine when there is
a point of interest but not if you want the viewer to look at the whole
scene. The log on the left shore attracts some attention; not enough to be a
POI but too much for a whole-scene image. The far shoreline cuts the image
in two, making it harder for the eye to wander. For me part of the essence
of winter is the openness, so the eye needs to wander as the feet can.

Sometimes pulling back with a wider angle can help as it decreases the scale
of individual objects thus emphasizing the scene. It's easy though for this
sort of photo to be seen as just "lacking a point of interest".

>> 3
>> <http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?
>> dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-2.jpg>

I think your subject is the lake/river, with ice and log, but much of the
ice is not in focus and the far shoreline is distracting me. Am I missing
the point?

>> 4
>> <http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?
>> dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-27.jpg>

Very nice. The light is on the frothing water, which is the main action in
the image. Just right. Placement is good too. I think Moose is right, that
the lower portion could be just a little bit lighter so it doesn't get
muddy.

Andrew