[OM] Re: New cams?

Subject: [OM] Re: New cams?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:45:19 -0800 (PST)
Well, let's see.

Konica-Minolta has been on a six-month intro cycle with the
high-end prosumers, so I expect an A2 replacement there, since
the A200 is down a step.  The D7D is too new to announce a
replacement quite yet--after all, they have yet to ship one that
WORKS out-of-the-box.  :(  Quality control is a serious problem
with that company!

Canon just played their hand with the 20D, 1D-M2 and 1DS-M2, but
the Drebel is getting long in the tooth. We'll probably see an
8MP DRebel with infinite image buffer, ISO 25600, and a built-in
Maytag dishwasher. Other than the DRebel, Canon is far enough
ahead of the game to wait till fall for the next round, but they
could suprise us with a full-frame mid-level body.

Pentax is consumer-oriented only. Don't expect anything high-end
for a LONG time.  Although we can hope for a digital insert for
the 645NII. (That would be sweet).

Nikon has the D100 which needs serious updating.  A replacement
to the D100 would be nice--IF they update that worthless N80
interface. Just getting a deliverable D2X will keep the wolves
away for a year or two.

Olympus is Olympus. They probably think that the E-1 is still
viable for another 10 years.  After all, this is the company
that ran the OM-4(x) forever.  We're all HOPING for an E-3, but
history shows that they are clueless.  I want to be pleasantly
suprised. (In all fairness, Olympus is the cat's meow when it
comes to consumer-oriented photography).

Kodak will show something new--probably with a new format...

I think that this will be the PMA for the medium-format digitals
and accessories.  Maybe Olympus will give us
image-stabilization????????

Oh, and SONY desperately needs to replace the 828.  It'll be
interesting to see what they come up with.  Probably 24MP. But
the camera will still lock-up when writing to the card.  They
know how to stuff features into a camera, but usability is
another story.

And I almost forgot!  Sigma will introduce another Foveon-based
camera with a whopping 4MP!

There are my predictions.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com