[OM] Re: OT For the 4X4 Listees & global whatever

Subject: [OM] Re: OT For the 4X4 Listees & global whatever
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:59:29 -0500
Jan said:
I tend to be the same way. I got sooooo tired of the Y2K crisis, for
example. (But then, I've never had a computer that was not inherently
capable of dealing with it.)
---------------------------------
Another plug for a Mac? :-)  Unfortunately, the Y2K crisis was real and
had nothing to do with the inherhent capabilities of the computers
involved.  The problem was produced by taking cost cutting shortcuts in
application software that made perfect economic sense at the time.  The
problems caused by these early (and continuing) decisisons was long
recognized and solutions were well known.  The impediment to fixing the
situation was that it was never economic for the guy on watch today to
fix tomorrow's problem.  But tomorrow did finally come.

To paraphrase jmac on his global dimming response: "Solutions for
long-term [insert problem area of interest here] are available but are
usually not implemented on a timely basis. It takes an emergency to
bring divergent interests together."

Too bad the problems inherent in human nature can't be avoided by just
buying a Mac.  Sorry, totally devoid of OM content.

Chuck Norcutt