[OM] Re: How much is too much?

Subject: [OM] Re: How much is too much?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:07:58 -0800
At 09:49 AM 2/9/2005, you wrote:
>I have been amused at some of the recent comments regarding GeeBee's #38
>as they relate to "removing" things from the scene, such as Moose's
>confession of eliminating cars from a car park (that's "parking lot" in
>more common Murkin terminology) and a couple of other confesions and
>opinions.  But, though I'm amused, I'm not laughing too loud.
>
>As recently as two or three years ago, I posted on this very list that I
>disapproved of and considered it cheating to make any changes to a
>photograph through digital chicanery that couldn't be made in the
>darkroom, i.e., cropping, burning in, dodging, etc.  But I was worn down
>over time and thoroughly corrupted by the influence of this "bad crowd"
>that I had fallen in with.  My first sin was removing a couple of road
>signs from my Landscape TOPE.  Afterwards, I felt ashamed and thereafter
>digitally diddled hardly at all with subsequent entries.
>
>That is, until TOPE 20, when I could no longer suppress the irrepressible
>urges and went, much to my shame and regret, not just right up to the
>line, one toe on it, but all the way over it, nearly until it was out of sight.
>
>So, how much is too much?  Here's a link to the before and after.  I'd be
>interested in hearing whether I "done good" or I "oughta be shot" for what
>I did.  You can easily jump back and forth between the before and after
>using the "slide show" arrow.
>
>http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html
>
>Walt, a sinner still sinning, and even more happily

I like your crop. That helps. The image might have been stronger, though,
with the debris on the ground and whatever that fellow had crooked through
his arm/hand. I take out "white garbage" on the ground when I'm not sure
what it might have been and if it tends to distract, and of course I
perform (sometimes rather heavy) damage control when its comes to dust
specks and scratches (it isn't always convenient to find d&d service) just
like everyone else.

Where was this made? Maybe that info's already up on TOPE.

Tris