[OM] Why do digital cameras have a shutter?

Subject: [OM] Why do digital cameras have a shutter?
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:15:47 -0600
In considering the move to digital, I ran across an editorial that made a
pretty convincing argument that the current crop of digitals were still
essentially modified
film cameras. for instance, the editorial pointed out that there' no reason a
digital camera needs a shutter, and made the argument that there was no reason
quality LCD couldn't give a better image than the mirrors we're used to in our
SLRs.

So - is anyone working on a digital camera that's digital from the ground up?

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company